Renston Rural Historic District
U.S. National Register of Historic Places
U.S. Historic district
Show map of North Carolina
Show map of the US
Approximately 2.5 miles (4.0 km) along NC 903, roughly bounded by NC 1127 and Stokes Ln., near Winterville, North Carolina
35°31′33″N 77°28′43″W / 35.52583°N 77.47861°W / 35.52583; -77.47861Coordinates: 35°31′33″N 77°28′43″W / 35.52583°N 77.47861°W / 35.52583; -77.47861
1,650 acres (670 ha)
Greek Revival, Classical Revival
NRHP Reference #
Added to NRHP
December 4, 2003
Renston Rural Historic District is a national historic district located near Winterville, Pitt County, North Carolina. The district encompasses 105 contributing buildings, 6 contributing sites, 7 contributing structures, and 1 contributing object on eight major farms in rural Pitt County near Winterville. It includes buildings largely dated from about 1890 to 1953 and notable examples of Greek Revival and Classical Revival style architecture. They include the Fletcher Farm, the Charles and Maggie McLawhorn farms, the Langston-Edwards properties, the Dail Farm, the Dennis McLawhorn farms, the McLawhorn-Abbott property, and the Richard Herman McLawhorn farms. Notable individual buildings include the Joseph Smith House, former Renston School and the first Bethany Free Will Baptist Church, Spier (Speir, Spire) Worthington House (c. 1840), Langston-Edwards House (c. 1840), the Dail House (c. 1850), and the Charles McLawhorn House (c. 1880, moved c. 1890).
It was listed on the National Register of Historic Places in 2003.
^ a b National Park Service (2010-07-09). “National Register Information System”. National Register of Historic Places. National Park Service.
^ Nancy Van Dolsen (August 2003). “Renston Rural Historic District” (pdf). National Register of Historic Places – Nomination and Inventory. North Carolina State Historic Preservation Office. Retrieved 2015-02-01.
U.S. National Register of Historic Places in North Carolina
Keeper of the Register
History of the National Register of Historic Places
National Park Service